Chronicles & Echoes of Divar Island
Experience the rich cultural heritage of Divar in our Divar Island Tour
Catch a ferry and cross the Mandovi River to Divar Island. Experience a gem of old world charm, paddy fields, ancient temples, pretty churches, Indo-Portuguese houses and winding roads in our Divar Island Tour. As you enter the island, you’ll find locals sitting with their fishing rods in hope of making a catch in the Mandovi river. The tops of hillocks on the island gives you a lovely view of the river. Divar Island is so blissfully green and tranquil that you’re enticed to slip into a peaceful meditation. All these make for an ideal Goan village tour. Come, take back a slice of life of Goa with you.
In our Divar Island Tour, you’ll also notice a rainbow of houses. You will drive around the brightly painted houses in reminiscence of the Portuguese times. Divar is the second largest island of the seven islands which are situated in the Mandovi River, the largest being Charao Island. The island is roughly 6km long by 3km wide and it is connected by four ferry services. The island is a perfect choice for cycling in Goa. Though the Konkan railway line actually runs across the island, the trains do not stop! With a modest population of only 6000 residents, its quaint charm will draw you right in, wishing the train would stop!
Hindu pilgrims used to make the journey from distant lands to visit this land of temples on the island 1000 years ago. On our guided Divar Island Tour you get to visit some of the interesting places on the island and understand a little more of its historical, social and cultural heritage.
- Get insightful stories about Divar Island and the reason behind the name of the island.
- Lunch served in a beautiful Indo- Portuguese house hosted by the owners of the house.
- Visit one the finest Baroque churches in Goa from the highest point in Divar Island.
- Meet the residents of Divar Island and understand how minimalism and slow paced lifestyle can be sustainable and splendid.
- Enjoy a commuting ferry service into Divar Island which surrounded by the river Mandovi and completely disconnected from the mainland.
- Understand how Divar Island has managed to keep away the chaos and urbanization despite being very close to the cities of Panjim and Old Goa.
What to expect in Divar Island:
The tour begins by taking the ferry across to Divar Island. From there we proceed by car to St. Matthias Church built in the late 16th century.
Then we see the extraordinary Our Lady of Candelaria chapel built on the site of an old temple and a little ahead the ancient Saptakoteshwar temple tank. From here we proceed to the Naroa ferry and see the wall of an old Fort and the holy bathing site of the Hindus called the Porne Tirth , where the river Mandovi meets to surround the Island.
We head for a meal in a traditional Indo-Portuguese house and then proceed to visit the sluice gates to understand how the traditional Khazan system works. We then proceed to the main hill where the Piedade Church is located.
Timing: 11:00 AM
Duration: 3-4 hours
Meeting point: Divar Ferry Terminal