Fontainhas Heritage Walk
Experience the Fontainhas Heritage Walk, an old Latin quarter of Panjim
The Fontainhas Heritage Walk is an immersive walking tour in Goa narrating its past. Witness the Portuguese past that eventually survived the onslaught of development in the 21st century. The houses are dressed in yellow, green and blue, balconies fronted by wrought iron railings and tiled roofs transporting you to another era.
Fontainhas is not only the oldest but the largest Latin quarter of Asia. Located at the foot of the hills, Altinho hills with springs surround Fontainhas on the west side, which give it its name from Portuguese for “little fountain”. The ancient creek known as the Ourem creek binds it on the east side. In the monsoons, experience the rain soaked streets in our Fontainhas Heritage Walk. The rainy season of Goa adds to the feel the special charm as one can quietly stroll through the narrow streets.
In the late eighteenth century, a Goan expatriate named Antonio Joao de Sequeira, who had made his wealth while working in Mozambique, established Fontainhas. The name came from the fountain at the foot of the hill which began to sprout around 1770. It is patterned along the lines of Lisbon’s Bairo Alto.
The people of Fontainhas lead an affluent life. Get access to heritage homes, appreciate Portuguese architecture, meet wonderful people and experience the cultural side of Goa like never before. We will take you to meet a renowned Goan musician who plays Konkani and Latin music.
- Get a vivid introduction to the city of Panjim at the Tobacco Square.
- Get insight to typical Indo-Portuguese architecture at the Latin Quarters.
- Immerse yourself in the interesting stories about the streets and houses of Fontainhas.
- Visit the oldest bakery of Panjim known for delectable Goan sweets, savouries that continues to bake using traditional baking methods even today.
- Taste the local Goan sweets and a refreshing beverage.
- Visit heritage buildings, meet a renowned Goan musician and enjoy his live Latin music performance.
COVID19 Health & Safety Measures:
- We will be providing face masks and sanitizer.
- All our tour presenters and hosts will be wearing a face mask and hand gloves.
- We will avoid physical contact with guests like handshakes.
- We will be serving refreshments / meals in places that follow hygiene and sanitary guidelines approved by Make It Happen.
- All enclosed spaces will be sanitized.