Fontainhas Heritage Walk
Experience the Fontainhas Heritage Walk, an old Latin quarter of Panjim
The Fontainhas Heritage Walk is an immersive walking tour in Goa narrating its past. Witness the Portuguese past that eventually survived the onslaught of development in the 21st century. The houses are dressed in yellow, green and blue, balconies fronted by wrought iron railings and tiled roofs transporting you to another era.
Fontainhas is not only the oldest but the largest Latin quarter of Asia. Located at the foot of the hills, Altinho hills with springs surround Fontainhas on the west side, which give it its name from Portuguese for "little fountain". The ancient creek known as the Ourem creek binds it on the east side. In the monsoons, experience the rain soaked streets in our Fontainhas Heritage Walk. The rainy season of Goa adds to the feel the special charm as one can quietly stroll through the narrow streets.
In the late eighteenth century, a Goan expatriate named Antonio Joao de Sequeira, who had made his wealth while working in Mozambique, established Fontainhas. The name came from the fountain at the foot of the hill which began to sprout around 1770. It is patterned along the lines of Lisbon’s Bairo Alto.
The people of Fontainhas lead an affluent life. Get access to heritage homes, appreciate Portuguese architecture, meet wonderful people and experience the cultural side of Goa like never before. We will take you to meet a renowned Goan musician who plays Fado and Latin music.
– A guided tour by a friendly host / presenter.
– Breakfast / Lunch / High Tea served in a traditional Goan House
– Learn a few Goan recipes.
– Visit one the finest Baroque churches in Goa
– Insight into traditional fishing methods that are still practices.
– Visit some of the ancient temple sites.
Discover kaleidoscope of history in our carefully curated tour of Kushavati Heritage Trail
The tour of Kushavati Heritage Trail in south Goa showcases the Portuguese heritage and pre-Portuguese history dating over 1000 years. We are going to see parts of history going back not just hundreds of years, but thousands of years. So be ready to enter the time-machine, and we promise to bring you back!
The Kushavati River leads into the Zuari River and then to the Arabian sea. It was a lot more navigable in earlier times, and trade used to take place at Chandrapura where ocean going ships would call. The tour of Kushavati Heritage Trail highlights the interesting sites, beautiful scenery, and kaleidoscope of history to be found in the hinterland of Goa.
-A guided tour with a friendly English speaking tour presenter.
-See interior regions of Goa which are hardly explored by visitors
-Learn about the Portuguese and pre-Portuguese history of Goa
-Visit one or more heritage houses in Chandor.
-Traditional Goan lunch with welcome drink.
A guided tour with a friendly English speaking tour presenter.
See interior regions of Goa which are hardly explored by visitors
Learn about the Portuguese and pre-Portuguese history of Goa
Visit one or more heritage houses in Chandor.
Traditional Goan lunch with welcome drink.
What to expect:
The tour starts from Margao in a comfortable air-conditioned SUV or minibus and visits Chandor, the ancient capital of Goa, where there are old historic houses, an ASI temple site, and the start of the Kushavati River. We then proceed inland, following the course of the river, to Rivona where there are ancient Buddhist caves, then on to Pansaimol where by the riverbank there are recently discovered pre-historic carvings in the rock. We move further inland to Netravali to visit the bubble lake temple before proceeding to an organic spice farm for lunch. Time permitting, on the return we can see some more interesting sights.
Cost starts from: INR 4000 per person
Timing: 09:00 AM – 06:00 PM
Starting Point: Ravindra Bhavan, Margao
– This Tour is organized by Make it Happen, Travel Designers a tour operation company committed towards curating and developing cultural and community based tours.
– Make It Happen has collaborated with Goa Heritage Action Group (GHAG), an NGO committed toward preserving the natural and built heritage of Goa. Part proceeds of this tour are donated to GHAG. GHAG supports in providing content and training to guides for this tour.
– By showcasing local artists and craftsmen we aim to preserve these dying arts forms. We will take you to a few recommended stores where you can buy local products. Shopping at these stores helps inject money into the local economy.
Local English Speaking Tour Leader
Air-conditioned transport from and back to Ravindra Bhavan, Margao
Entry to at least one Heritage Home
Buffet Lunch and welcome drink
Hotel pick-up and drop-off.
Additional food and drinks.
Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
– Clean toilets are not available between Margao and Netravali, so it is recommended to use the facilities at Ravindra Bhavan and the Spice Farm only
– Please do not tip our guides (in case you wish to make an additional donation to Goa Heritage Action Group, you can speak to the guide)
– Please follow instruction and safety guideline of our guides during the tour.
– Be aware of people’s sensitivity to being photographed. Please ask first. Please take permission of the host before photographing inside the houses we visit.
– We are committed to a healthier planet. We recommend to carry reusable water bottles and avoid the use of disposable plastic bottles.