Old Goa Heritage Walk by Make It Happen
After surveying the pieces of ruined buildings displayed outside the Museum, we proceed to Old Goa’s first church, the Church of St Catherine. We then pass some remains of the Old Wall of Goa and the rear of the Archbishops Palace, before we arrive at the Viceroy’s Arch and the Church of St Cajetan.We then trace the old main street of Old Goa, the Rua Direita to pass by the Se Cathedral and the Church of St Francis, before reaching the Basilica of Bom Jesus where the remains of St Francis Xavier are to be found.Experience the grandeur and mystique of Goa’s former Capital city providing the historical link from pre–Portuguese times to the present day where Old Goa is a World Heritage Site, housing some of the best churches namely St. Francis Xavier, the imposing Sé Cathedral, the Church of St Francis of Assisi, the Chapel of St Catherine, the ruins of St. Augustine and the domed church of St. Cajetan.
The glimpses of the untold history, legends, myths, anecdotes and folktales behind sealed passages, escape routes and tombs, revisits some of the most fascinating facts during Portuguese rule.
Timing: Daily 09:00 am
Duration: 2.5 hours
Meeting point : Viceroy’s Arch
- Discover what lured the Portuguese into Goa and the strategy behind building the planned city of Old Goa.
- Get insights on Portuguese Astro-navigation and what makes the Portuguese great navigators
- Immerse yourself in the stories about the advent of various Catholic orders and the revered saints.
- Witness the grand architecture, symbolism and iconography from different orders during Old Goa Heritage Walk.
- Uncover the mystique behind sealed passages, vaults and tombs.